Sunday, August 23, 2015

Directed Drawing...what's the point?!?!

So I have heard about directed drawings multiply times.  
First when I was lucky enough to hear Deanna Jump speak at a
Kindergarten Conference she talked about directed drawings.  She uses these in lots of her units.  Here is one of her blogs about directed drawings.







 I also saw a post by Katie from Little Warriors.  




Katie gives lots of great reasons to use directed drawings but still...
I wasn't sold!?!?!?


I never understood the idea of directed drawings until this year.  
During my Writer's Workshop time I realized the importance of directed drawings.  
During my Writer's Workshop time I use the wisdom of both Deanna Jump and Kristina Smekens.  
I adapt their wisdom to the needs of my students to help me grow as a writing teacher 
and to help them grow as writer's.   

I always start out by explaining to my students that they can be writers by drawing pictures.  

We discuss how cavemen used to write by drawing on cave walls.  They told stories through their pictures.  We discuss how Native Americans also told stories through their pictures.  

I then drew a picture without talking and had the students tell me the story that I was drawing.  

(my drawing...I am obviously not an art major)

They managed to tell me the entire story.
I then sent them off to draw on their own.

This is from the second week of school.  
Their first try at telling a story through pictures.


I then taught another mini lesson.  
The different way that writer's write.
I then sent them off to tell a story by drawing again.  

After seeing their drawings I realized that directed drawings might be helpful.  

So I checked out Katie's Little Warriors blog on directed drawings again, and decided to give it a try.  

So I taught my students how to draw a person.  
I started by showing the students where to draw on their paper. 
After each direction I had my students hold up their pencil.  
We did this step by step.  
First we drew a circle
(held up pencil)
Drew lines for neck
(held up pencil)
Finished using this process step by step using shapes and lines. 

Not only did this help the students with drawing, 
it helped them with following directions.

After they had the base (outline) of a person I told them that this 
is where they had the opportunity to personalize the person. 

Make it their own.  
Add their own hair color, add detail to their clothing, 
add eye color, etc.

So here are the before and afters of directed drawing:

There are two different drawings, 
the first two are from one student and the second two are from one student.

Student 1





Student 2





                           
Wow!  I was AMAZED!  
Their drawing was impressive.

They also did a great job following directions.
Not only did they learn how to draw a person and follow directions; 
they became confident!  Confident as writer's!
Ultimately that is what we all want... confident students.

Students who are confident in their abilities.  

My next lesson will be how to draw settings.  
(Houses, trees, sun, clouds, etc.)

Hopefully you are now sold - give it a try!

To check out more Deanna Jump go to @MrsJumpsClass

And for more of Little Warriors go to @littlekinderwarriors

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's about that time! Back to School Post #1

  In 3 weeks,  I will be back in the swing of kindergarten!  I started teaching when I was 30 years old and will be 45 this February!  WOW! ...