Saturday, September 19, 2015

A day you only dream about... (pictures included)

Yesterday was one of those days that you dream about as a teacher.  It is the kind of day that reassures you that you are doing the right thing, you are making a difference.  Above all it makes you love what you do even more. 

I am not going to lie. I walked out of school today with a little more pep in my step.  I might have even been smiling to myself as I headed to my car.  It is one of those days that I am thankful to be a teacher and this is why I love my job!

After school, the conversation that I had with my husband:
Me:  Today is one of those days that you dream about as a teacher.
Husband:  Retirement?
Me: No!  (duh) A day of 100% engagement, discovery, problem solving, and FUN!

Okay...so I am definitely a teacher!  

I must admit to you I don't really think much about retirement.  Heck, I don't even know when my next break is.  I know it is sickening...but I love my job that much that breaks are perks and I am not living for the next one.  

Okay so enough gushing about my AMAZING day.  Let me share with you why it was so AMAZING and how I got my students engaged, discovering, problem solving, and having FUN at the same time.  

I recently started selling products on teachers pay teachers and I always seem to get a little boost when I use one of my products for the first time.  I am like a little kid...as I start the lesson I think wow this is going to be great.  Okay so I am easily excitable.  :)

We started our apple unit this week and I decided that I would end the week with my first STEM activity.  

Only $3.00

First thing this morning, our 3rd grade STEM buddies came to my classroom.  In the past I have had reading buddies but after the successful morning I had we now have Stem buddies.  We will get together once a month and complete a monthly STEM activity.   

We started out by reading the book Ten Apples Up on Top by Dr. Seuss.  


After reading the book we discussed if the book was real or make believe.  
We then talked about if they thought it was possible to stack Apples on Top of Their Head? 

I then gave them the challenge...
Dou you thing you could stack apples up on top?

The guidelines:  the apples had to be free standing and stacked on top of each other.  

I then showed them the supplies they had to use. 


Plus a little duct tape.  

They then filled out the first page of the packet.  





Duck tape?!  How cute!

They then came up with a plan.  






Once they explained their plan to us they could get their supplies.  That is where the REAL fun began!  Discovery and problem solving at its best!








And then we had our first success!

The other students listened as they explained their plan.  
At this point student went back to completing the challenge.  Some students made adjustments to their plan after seeing what worked.  We then had more successes!







Each success had their own unique differences.  

At this point we had the students stop exploring and fill out the final page of the packet.  








This folks is what 60 minutes of 100% engagement of 64 students look like.
One hour of exploration, discovery, problem solving, and FUN!

Here is a picture of my bulletin board.

A little peek of the apple activities we completed this week.  










$2.00

Or you can buy the bundle of all of my apple themed products here.
Apple Bundle


Hope you get a chance to have a great day just like mine really soon!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:22 AM

    My 1st graders LOVED this STEM challenge! Very creative and the resource packet was a great addition. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete

It's about that time! Back to School Post #1

  In 3 weeks,  I will be back in the swing of kindergarten!  I started teaching when I was 30 years old and will be 45 this February!  WOW! ...