Sunday, September 20, 2015

Writing in Kindergarten and a freebie!

Five years ago if you would have asked me if I had Writer's Workshop in kindergarten I would have laughed!  Seriously Writer's Workshop in Kindergarten!?!??!  Well...a few years ago I decided to focus on my Writer's Workshop.  I have to say that my writer's workshop has truly become a part of my day that not only do I love but my students love too!  

I have writer's workshop the last half an hour of the day.  If we miss it my students will ask, "Why didn't we have a mini lesson?" "Hey, we didn't get out our writer's workshop binders."  I am going to be honest, I am surprised about how much they truly enjoy writing.  

I have use combination of lots of different tools for my writer's workshop.  
I get a lot of information from Deanna Jump and Kristina Smekens.  

I have been fortunate to see both of these amazing ladies at different conferences.  

Deanna Jump has lots of writing resources.
You can check out her blog!



I also use a great book from Kristina Smekens.  


I take information from Deanna Jump, Kristina Smekens,  my own understanding of Writer's Workshop, and what my students need and create a Writer's Workshop tailored to my classroom.

A few years ago a fellow teacher had stuffed animals that she used to help her students remember writing concepts.  (Very clever)  I decided to find some stuffed animals that I had and I created my own writing friends.

Those of you who have seen me present at iPossibilities know what I am talking about.  For the rest of you just wait!  It is super clever and my kiddos remember! 

I have been working on my very own writing unit.  This unit will include a writing journal, writing friends posters, and directions to on how to use the journals and posters.  

I am SUPER excited to share my writing materials on a future blog.  

One of the things I learned from Kristina Smekens is teaching your students to use an alphabet chart to help them with their writing.  She suggests that you use a chart that is the same as your classroom alphabet.  Lucky for me I created my alphabet posters.  So if you have purchased any of my alphabet posters feel free to download this Alphabet Chart from my TPT store.

Get it FREE here!

Keep an eye out!  My Writer's Workshop materials are coming soon!
I can't wait to show it in use!


1 comment:

  1. I would love to try it out! The version I have found in the app store is free. Is that the correct one or is there a different one?

    ReplyDelete

It's about that time! Back to School Post #1

  In 3 weeks,  I will be back in the swing of kindergarten!  I started teaching when I was 30 years old and will be 45 this February!  WOW! ...