Friday, July 10, 2015

Who doesn't want to be a STAR!?!?!?

Okay so this is something that I am SUPER excited about!
I know I am always pretty excited, but this time I am SUPER excited!  
This post is going to show the true kindergarten teacher in me!  HAHA!

So first let's start with "Star" of the Week.
When I first started teaching we used to send a Star of the Week bag home for the weekend 
with our Star of the Week students.  (SOW- for short)

We used to collect spare change during our Bear unit at the beginning of the year.  At the end of the unit all of the Kindergarten teachers would take all of the money collected for their classrooms and have a Build a Bear Shopping Spree.  
(Sometimes we had enough money to buy 2 bears, a boy and a girl, and lots of accessories.)

We would then vote on the name and our class bear(s) were ready to go.

The SOW took the class bear home in the SOW bag.
Took pictures with the bear and added to the class SOW book.  

That was then...this is now.

Allergans, lice, bed bugs, smoker's vs. nonsmoker's...
TOO MUCH TO WORRY ABOUT!

I started to become leery of sending home a stuffed animal, with clothes, and accessories.
Eventually I stopped.

I still did Star of the Week but I didn't have anything special to send home.   
Lets face it it wasn't as fun!  :(

This is where I get SO EXCITED!  

So one day I was thinking, all things kindergarten, 
and I was trying to figure out what I could send home.

I loved the idea of kiddos taking pictures with a special classroom item (bear) and sharing it with the class.  Maybe I could find a plastic Seuss toy.  (My theme is Dr. Seuss).
My mind went a million places but at some point on that trip I thought of Flat Stanley 
and how lots of classes send Flat Stanley to places all over the world.  

And that folks is how Flat Cat was created.  
Flat Cat is a normal cat who likes to go on adventures.  One day he went to the circus and 
low and behold he was rolled over by an Elephant on a circus ball.   
He then became Flat Cat.  
Check this out..

Introducing the NEW & IMPROVED Star of the Week Bag!

Cute?  I know but it looks like you typical Dollar Days Dr. Seuss bag, 
but it NOT.


This is what is inside:

plastic pronged folder
(a binder would not fit in the bag)

Inside the folder is the Adventurers of Flat Cat
and pages to complete a class book.  

The Flat Cat book explains the story of how Silly Cat became Flat Cat.  
Super Cute!
The book ends with the SOW the week taking Flat Cat on an adventure.


Cover page with directions of what to do.


On this page students can take a picture (or draw a picture) of what they did with 
Flat Cat and write about it.


I always have my students share their favorite book when they are SOW.  
So here is a page where they can draw a picture of their favorite part of their favorite book.  


Don't forget Flat Cat!  
Flat Cat is laminated card stock.  
He is kept in the back pocket of the folder.  
Kiddos can take pictures of their adventures of Flat Cat.


Here are a few more pictures:
 Just a few pics of the Flat Cat book. 





I also like to send home a special book for parents to read with their kiddos.  
The one that I will be sending home is 
I'm Special, I'm Me! 
by Ann Meek

This is everything that gets sent home in the Star of the Week bag.  

Now don't worry I didn't stop there.  

I am all about adding a fun back into kindergarten.  

It's birthday time!  

Due to all of the different food allergies our school is technically a snack free school. 
With that begin said students no longer bring in birthday treats.  

I totally understand the reason behind this but that was one of my favorite memories 
as a child.  Bringing in my birthday snack.  It was special and made the day about me.  

I still do a birthday crown, sing Happy Birthday, and give a birthday pencil, but I felt the excitement was lacking.  Could you imagine a kindergarten classroom without excitement!?!?!

Introducing the Birthday Bag!
Starring Flat Cat in a Birthday Hat!

CUTE!

Yellow plastic folder with prongs and the cover of the 
class birthday book.  


 Cover page with directions of what to do with the Birthday Bag. 



 Draw yourself wearing a birthday hat and decorate and color the Birthday page. 



Left Page:  Write the date of your birthday and write how old you are.  
Draw that many candles on the cupcake and color.
Right Page:  Take pictures or (draw a picture of you) with the 
Birthday Flat Cat and write about it.  


Here is Birthday Flat cat!
Copied on card stock and laminated.

Of course I added few birthday books to my Birthday Bag.
I am going to be ordering the Dr. Seuss
Happy Birthday book to go into this bag
(but for now any birthday book will do).
Now that will be so cute!

This was my project for last night!
Once I had everything completed I realized that something was missing
form the birthday bag...
A Flat Cat Birthday book!
Have no fear I am working on it now...
I know you were concerned!!?!?!?

If you are interested in getting your very own set of for your Take Home bags here is the link!
This includes all of the printables you need to include, even the Flat Cats, and the Flat Cat books.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Birthday-Star-of-the-Week-Take-Home-Bags-1943182

Hope you liked this idea.
Sorry if it is a little FLAT!
(See what I did there?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's about that time! Back to School Post #1

  In 3 weeks,  I will be back in the swing of kindergarten!  I started teaching when I was 30 years old and will be 45 this February!  WOW! ...