Friday, July 17, 2015

Have you filled a bucket today?

After today's post I am going off the grid for the next 10 days.
It's time for some quality family time before school starts!

But before I go I thought I would talk about one of my favorite books to read 
at the beginning of the year.   


This book is a great book to read to students of all ages.  

It is a book all about being kind.  It does a great job illustrating how your actions make people feel.  

The book is based on two options "bucket filling" (being kind) or "bucket dipping" (being mean).
The concept is simple and easily understood by all ages.  

After reading the book we brainstorm ideas of things that we can do to become bucket fillers.
We talk about why we want to be bucket fillers and how we feel when people fill our
buckets vs. dipping into our buckets.  

I then introduce our Bucket Fillers Bucket.  
(All purchased from the Dollar Tree.)

As I notice students "filing buckets" they get to move a 
pom pom from the green bucket to the purple bucket.  

Once the purple bucket is full we get to celebrate with a class reward.

I am all about celebrations!
Anyone who know me knows I love a reason to celebrate!

Students can also point out when they see other students filling buckets.  
This is a great way to build a classroom community!

On the flip side if someone is "bucket dipping", 
they have to take a pom pom out of the classroom bucket. 

This is a great visual to show students the effects of bucket filling and dipping. 

There are a lot of FREE resources on the internet and TPT.  

Just google:  Bucket Fillers 





No comments:

Post a Comment

It's about that time! Back to School Post #1

  In 3 weeks,  I will be back in the swing of kindergarten!  I started teaching when I was 30 years old and will be 45 this February!  WOW! ...