Thursday, June 11, 2015

Oh the possibilities!

So here I am on summer break and I am writing my second post!  Originally I thought it might be difficult to start a blog during the summer when I didn't have my classroom and didn't have my students to help me share great ideas.  So far that hasn't been a problem...finding time might be another story.  As we all know as teachers summer is our time to slow down...YEAH RIGHT!  I am now the official entertainer and personal chauffeur for my boys.  

Enough gibberish, the real reason for this post!


Just a little background...I work for an AMAZING school corporation and have so many opportunities to grow as a teacher.  Four years ago a group of teachers were invited to pilot one to one iPads in kindergarten class rooms.  I was one of the lucky teachers who had this opportunity.  

Don't get me wrong... the idea of little kinders and fragile, expensive pieces of technology terrified me!  Let's be honest the idea of me with a fragile, expensive piece of technology terrified me!

Over the past few years I have learned so many ways to utilize iPad technology into my classroom.  I have also presented at the iPossibilities conference for the last four years.  I have presented on my favorite apps, different ways to use apps, creating QR Codes for listening centers, and picking one specific app to feature.  

Here is a link to the iPossibilities Conference.  It is a great conference that I highly recommend!



I thought that one of the features of my blog would be to share apps that I have used and how I have used them.  Once again I am not advertising for these specific apps I am just giving you a peek into my kindergarten room.   

Who remembers the Magnetic Letter Desk from the 80's?

This was one of my favorite childhood toys.  
(Remember I wanted to be a teacher since the young age of 5!)

For the 21st century learners, I would like to introduce Magnetic Alphabet for the iPad.  
(There may be an android version)



Here is the link to the iTunes store:
id389132393

At first glance this app may look like a new version of an old toy...but the possibilities!
This is a great app to use during literacy stations or RTI.

Ways to use the app

1.  Have students practice writing their name.

2.  Have students find specific letters as you call
out the letter or the sound.

3.  Have students spell word wall words from the word wall.
Have students take a screen shot as they build
words and count who gets the most.

4.  When studying initial sounds have students find
words that start with the specific letter being
introduced or studied.  Have them type the word.
(Can use a different color letter for the initial sound)

5.  Have students do a word hunt while reading.
Different word hunts:
Beginning letter
2, 3, 4, 5  letter words
Rhyming words
Specific blends
Specific digraphs
2, 3, 4, syllable words
Specific word families
Specific prefixes
Specific endings

6.  Spelling words - Changing the letters that correlated
to the specific skill different color.

7.  Stretching out words
(CVC, CVCe)

I have found when I give my students a challenge to try to find the most words they are more engaged.  Make anything a game and they are ready to play.


Like I said the possibilities are endless!  You can take a simple app and get so many uses out of it.  I have the lite version in my class and it works for me.  This version is limited to only uppercase letters.   But it's the free version and as long as I have letters I am good!  Plus here's a bonus you don't ever loose letters!  It never failed as a child I would start to spell a word just to find that I was missing the t for cat or 2 p's for apple!

Overall I give this app 4 smiles!

Let me know what you think and feel free to share your ideas!





No comments:

Post a Comment

It's about that time! Back to School Post #1

  In 3 weeks,  I will be back in the swing of kindergarten!  I started teaching when I was 30 years old and will be 45 this February!  WOW! ...