Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Kindergarten...No more nap time - how about app time?

If you have read any of my previous posts you know that I am fortunate to have one to one iPads in my classroom.  Over the past four years I have used lots of app with my kindergarten class.  On occasion I thought I would dedicate a post to one of the apps that I love and that my students love. 
So here it goes! 

3,2,1...app time!


This past year I was asked to present at the ipossibilities conference.  I have presented every year so far and love the conference.  I was looking for something new to present on and stumbled across this amazing app.  



Here is some info on ipossibilities.  I totally recommend it!






Now back to ChatterPix.

ChatterPix is an app where you can make anything talk.  

Click on the link for a quick overview of the app



One of the best things about this app besides its many uses...is IT'S FREE!!!!

That's right FREE, FREE, FREE!!!!  
I am a sucker for anything free.  

This app is super simple to use!  Another bonus...FREE and simple.  

I am going to list all of the different ways you can use this app and share some examples.  
This app can be used in any grade it just depends on what you want to use it for.  


Language Arts Literacy Uses 


1.  Alphabet
At the beginning of the year assign each student a letter.   Have them find something in the room that starts with their assigned letter.  
Take a picture tell the letter and the sound it makes!
Voila!
Save the video email it to yourself and combine it on iMovie to make a class alphabet video!




2.  Studying characters
Have students take a picture of the Main Character of a book and talk about the character.


3.  Book Talk
Have students take a picture of a book and record a 30 second book talk about a book they have read.

4.  Poetry 
Have students write a poem and illustrate it or show symbolism and read poem.  




5.  Adjectives
Have students take a picture of something and use adjectives to describe it.  

6.  Researching Historical Characters
When studying specific parts of history have students pick a character or an important part of an event and discuss why it is important.



Math Uses

1.  Money 
Have students take pictures of coins and tell what they are and what they are worth.  



2.  Time
Take pictures of clocks and save to photo gallery.  Have students use the pictures to tell what time it is.  An easy way to assess a students understanding without a paper and pencil test.  

3.  Shapes
Go on a shape hunt.  Have students find specific shapes and tell what they are and their attributes. 

4.  Story Problems
Give the student a story problem and have them illustrate it and describe how to solve the problem.



Miscellaneous Uses

1.  Getting to Know You
Have students take a screen shot of themselves and tell a little about who they are.  

2.  Social Stories

3.  Friendly reminders
Writer's Workshop Rules 
Reader's Workshop Rules


4.  Station Directions
Make a chatterpix of what needs to be done at a station and have students watch before they 
start that particular station.  

5.  Fun informative videos
I'm sure it has happened to many of you!  
Are you ready for this...BOOGER PICKING!
SO GROSS!
But it happens so after lecture after lecture of why we should NOT pick our nose I made a 
chatterpix.  Silly I know but guess what it worked! 
I gave my Kleenex box and my hand sanitzer a name and students couldn't wait to use them.  

Hey...whatever works!  I am not too proud to be a talking Kleenex box or Sassy Sanitizer.  









Hopefully you will find some of these ways useful!  Here is the link to download this app.  




I give this app 4 smiles!


Just a note...these are all my opinions!  This is an app that my students and I love so I thought I would share.  Chatterpix has nothing to do with this post except for being a fun useful app!








No comments:

Post a Comment

It's about that time! Back to School Post #1

  In 3 weeks,  I will be back in the swing of kindergarten!  I started teaching when I was 30 years old and will be 45 this February!  WOW! ...