Sunday, June 21, 2015

Catch the Rainbow

Starting with the very first week of school I do color weeks.   
We study a specific color each week.  

Each week has a color, a color song, color activities, and a show and tell at the end of the week.  

Here is a link to purchase the color song cd from FrogStreet.  




The kids love this!  They are so excited to learn the song and they love getting 
to share a show and tell every week!

Here is a break down of what a color week looks like.  

The first color that I do is RED so I will use that for the example.  

One of my morning work stations includes a cut, paste, and color page for the specific color.  
This particular week it is RED.

Check out my Color Words Worksheets on TPT 


These worksheets are great for morning work on Monday morning as an introduction to the specific color. 

Color Song
To start the morning we always say the Pledge of Allegiance and then head to carpet time for a morning story and calendar time.  I have all of the songs printed and laminated on anchor charts.  (Coming soon for Free on my TPT store.)  We read throughout the song, listen to the song, and sing the song together.  I make fun little hand movements to go along with the song.  We sing the song every morning for the rest of that week. 

Color Activities
-make an anchor chart of all the things that we can think of that are RED  
-do cut and past color worksheet
-Read a picture about the color
-do a picture sort (cut out pictures that are RED and glue them on the sort page)
-paint with different shades of RED 
(change the shade by adding white & back)


Friday
Color Day

Everyone wears RED on Friday and brings in a RED show and tell.
The students look forward to our show and tell Fridays.
(This is a great time to focus on speaking and using complete sentences.)

We do this same schedule for all of the colors over the next few weeks.

(I do an end of the year scrapbook so I try to take class pictures every Friday to show Our Many Colors and to add to the end of the year scrapbook!)


What to do at the end of all the color days?


We tie dye of course!  That's right I tie dye with 24 kindergarteners!!!  The first year that I got this CrAzY idea I told my husband and his response...

"Are you crazy?  Have you even tie dyed before?"

Well no- I thought but how hard can it be!!!
This is probably the 4th year that I have tie dyed and I LOVE IT!
It is organized color chaos.  But that's what kindergarten is anyway!?!?!?!  Right!?!?!?

Supplies Needed:
Tie Dye kits
Rubber Bands
Squeeze Bottles
Plastic Wrap
Plastic Gloves
T shirts

When tie dying I send out a letter to parents letting them know the plan.  I then have parents send in a t shirt for their child (labeled with Sharpie).  It doesn't have to be a new t shirt it can be an old, stained t shirt.  (white works best).  Make sure they have been pre washed with out fabric softener.

I pre twist and rubber band the t shirts the day before.
(A metal fork works best for twisting in a clockwise fashion)

Once the shirt is twisted, use 3-4 rubber bands to secure the shirt and then label the shirt with the child's name on tape.

Have children wear old clothes on the day of tie dying.  Have all of the squeeze bottles ready to go.  (I try to have at least one parent volunteer to help out on tie dye day.)

Call the students back one at a time.  Let them pick up to three colors.
Have shirt ready sitting on a large piece of plastic wrap.  Have them squeeze (with help) the dye into the creases of the shirt.  If they are using 3 colors divide the shirt into thirds.  One color per 1/3.  Turn it over and do the other side.  Wrap the shirt up in plastic wrap and then microwave for 30 seconds.  Leave wrapped up until the next day.  Rinse the shirt until the water runs clear.  I then take all the shirts home and wash them and have them ready for our final Friday of our color days!

I guess when I finish a unit I like to go out with a bang!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's about that time! Back to School Post #1

  In 3 weeks,  I will be back in the swing of kindergarten!  I started teaching when I was 30 years old and will be 45 this February!  WOW! ...