Wednesday, January 31, 2018

To see or not to see...Will Phil see his Shadow?

Just a quick little post with a few fun Groundhog Day activities...

Predicting

On February 1st, I like to do a little predicting with my kindergarteners!
I usually read a Groundhog book and then talk about the Legend of Groundhog day.  

Please tell me that I am NOT the only teacher who can't remember what the shadow talk means?  I mean seriously...I have to look every year!  Does shadow mean winter or does no shadow mean winter!?!?!  I can never remember!!!  

For most people Groundhog Day is not a big deal, but for me it's my birthday.  So I feel that I should at least remember what it all means, but for the life of me I can NEVER remember!!!  One of my favorite teacher friends and I were talking about this and she was like, "Girl, I made myself a groundhog cheat sheet!!"  That's right folks she made a cheat sheet!  I LOVE that girl!  

So this year I decided to figure it out and get my Groundhog facts straight!  Did you know the first Groundhog day was in 1883!  Wow!  Did you know that groundhogs whistle when they are scared!  I know you are all impressed right!?!?!  

Well anyway, in my journey to become a groundhog day expert I thought I would create a mini unit to use in my classroom!  It is on sale in my TPT store!   

Check it out here

It includes a book with fun groundhog facts and what the legends says if the groundhog sees his shadow or not.

Here is the key:
Shadow = 6 more weeks of winter
No shadow = early spring

(no need to thank me)

It also includes labels to make a graph to predict if the groundhog will see his shadow or not.

On Groundhog Day we discuss our predictions and then finish off with a fun craft and STEM activity.  


Groundhog Craft

(Not my original idea - if you know where the original idea came from let me know)



Supplies:
small styrofoam cup
popsicle sticks
print out of a groundhog
(included in my mini unit - but you can use any one)
cotton balls

Steps-
1. Have students color the bottom of a styrofoam cup brown.
2. Color and cut out groundhog
3. Glue cottonball around the top of the cup (snow)
4. Tape groundhog to a popsicle stick
5. Poke hole in bottom of cup
Voila' you have a cute little groundhog poking his head out of his burrow!

Shadow Stem Activity



Last year after using Lego kits I got the idea to have my students build burrows for their groundhogs.





Once they built burrows I then had them put their groundhog in and create shadows.  My students loved it, and they gained a true understanding of what it takes to create shadows.  






I have included the directions and recording sheets for the STEM activity in my mini unit.

Hopefully you can use some of these simple, engaging ideas in your classroom!

BTW, lets hope the groundhog does not see his shadow!  
(I bet you had to scroll up and see what that means...I did!)



SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's about that time! Back to School Post #1

  In 3 weeks,  I will be back in the swing of kindergarten!  I started teaching when I was 30 years old and will be 45 this February!  WOW! ...