Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Camp Moving Up - The last weeks

What to do during the last few weeks!?!?!?!  Sometimes it's hard to fill the time, teach, and keep students engaged!  If you read my last post I discussed my Dinosaur week which was a hit.  

Now I needed to fill another week, while teaching, and keeping students engaged!  I can honestly say I did!  I have done camping activities in the past but not full on Camp!  So here it goes my camp week EXTREME!

Welcome to Camp Moving UP!  


Here is a picture of my classroom door!  
It is decorated to look like a tent on a starry night!  
(I used 2 dollar tree table clothes and Voila' you have a tent)

As students walked in to my room I had the lights dimmed and they could work or read by bonfire!




My students loved this!  

If you would like to make your own glowing fire all you need is tissue paper, a big basket, or metal bucket, a mason jar, and some battery operated tea light candles from the dollar tree.

I turned on all of the tea lights and put them in the mason jar.  I placed the mason jar in the center of the basket.  I then took tissue paper and crunched it up to make flames and then surrounded the mason jar.  Easy enough and we enjoyed a campfire.  

I found a great Camping Unit on TPT that was everything I needed for the week! 

Thank you @Cara Carroll for creating such a great resource!  





The activities that I did came from Cara Carroll's Unit!  
I added in a few,  but for the most part she planned my entire week!  Thanks Cara Carroll! 

On the first day we made a classroom graph to see who had ever been camping in a tent! 

I found it interesting that more than half of my students had never been tent camping! 
(Summer Bucket list ideas!?!?!)

After we graphed our camping experience we sat around our campfire and played the old memory game...I am going on a camping trip.  The first person said "I am going on a camping trip and I am going to bring a..."  The next person says the same thing but says what the person before them is going to bring and then what they are going to bring.  We continued around the entire circle adding to what we were bringing.  You can make this a little more challenging by using the alphabet and saying words in alphabetical order.  For example the first person has to say something that starts with an A.  The second person says something that starts with a B, next a C, etc.  

We went star gazing, kindergarten style!  My AMAZING assistant die cut stars, wrote popcorn words on them, stuck them to the ceiling and had my students use flashlights to read the stars.  Once they found the stars and read the popcorn words they wrote them on their stargazing sheet.  




We also had a s'mores day.  

We wrote how to make s'mores step by step.

We made words with marshmallows.  This is also included in this unit.  I may have did my marshmallow words a little differently.  On each marshmallow I wrote an upper case letter and a lower case letter, so I had then entire alphabet x2.  My kiddos would come up (I did this whole class), and reach in the marshmallow bucket, and pull out marshmallows, then create words.  




We also had a yummy s'mores snack!  Combine Golden Grahams, mini marshmallows, and chocolate chips and you have a delicious s'mores mix!  

Throughout this week I did some of the Station activities from the unit whole group since it was one of the last weeks of school.   I just made a few modifications and it worked great.  

We did the fishing activity were they fished for addition and subtraction sentences as a whole group.  I did this over two days: 5, 6, 7 one day and 8, 9, 10 the next day.

This is not the best picture but here is one of my students "Fishing" in the pond.

I didn't get all of the activities done last week so I decided to do the sentence matching activity today - the second to last day of school!  Guess what they were AWESOME!  

Here are some pictures of their work!  





Who says great work doesn't happen on the last few days of school!?!?!

Only one more day of school!  Where did the time go!?!?!




No comments:

Post a Comment

It's about that time! Back to School Post #1

  In 3 weeks,  I will be back in the swing of kindergarten!  I started teaching when I was 30 years old and will be 45 this February!  WOW! ...