Wednesday, March 16, 2016

From Idea to Practice - Alternative Seating Post 2

So after researching and reading lots of blogs!  I was so excited!  I don't know if I am the only one like this but when I get excited about something I can hardly wait!  This was no different!  I wanted to do this for my class!  I had to make it happen.  

Problem #1 - Funding

I decided to work on that for a few days.  Ultimately I decided to give Donor's Choose a try!  If you haven't tried out Donor's Choose it is an AMAZING organization just for teachers!  

You can check out the website here:

Some of you may have heard of the movement #bestschoolday
This created lots of flash funding for teachers all over the United States.

Wow! 
I don't know about you but this gives me the chills!  


Solution - Apply for Donor's Choose

Here is a link to my Donor's Choose Project

When creating a Donor's Choose project you need to send out permission slips to get permission to use your students photos for the project.  I decided to attach a letter with the permission slip explaining to parents what my vision was.  I included links to the research I found and shared my idea of starting a donor's choose project.
The response from parents was great!  The were on board!  Having the support from my administrators and parents made all of the difference!  

Here is a picture of the letter


Waiting is the hardest part! 
Not knowing how long the process would take (remember...I get too excited to wait)!  I decided to give it a try with what I had in my classroom!  

Give it a try!

Let me preface this by saying I have an amazing kindergarten assistant who goes along with any crazy idea that I have!  So one morning as we were sitting down for calendar, after I did the whole criss cross applesauce, hands to your self, lips zipped jingle, I thought ... drum roll please!  
TODAY IS THE DAY!  

I told my students to look around and if they were sitting by anyone that may distract them or keep them from making good choices they should move.  I explained to them that it was okay if they moved away from a friend because the were making responsible choices and I also reassured them that it didn't mean they weren't still friends.  
I explained to them that this was very important especially today because we were going to do something new.  We were going to try out something called free seating.  I told them that meant they could sit or stand anywhere in the room that they wanted but there were a few guidelines.  

I shared with them the guidelines.  
(Jotted them down on chart paper)

Now you may be thinking...wow...this teacher has it all together!  What a master plan she has!
SO NOT TRUE!
Sometimes you just go with what feels right and like I said that morning I decided 
TODAY WAS THE DAY!  

So all of this amazement was spur of the moment and I just went with it and you know what so did my kiddos!  

Here were the guidelines 
(notice they aren't rules - rules can be such a drag! HAHA! )

Take your supplies with you
spread out 
working not talking
you can lie on your tummies not on your backs
sit or stand & stick

Here are a few pictures of the choices my students made.







Love the variety of choices that my students made!

At this time I still had classroom tables and chairs so I called one table at a time to find a spot.  
WOW!  I can't even describe how AWESOME it was!  You wouldn't believe me if I told you so I thought I would just let you see for yourself!  



The students are working on a writing prompt in the video.  We read the book Wacky Wednesday and my students were asked to write and draw something that could happen on a Wacky Wednesday.
My students worked like this for 20 minutes!  I couldn't believe it!!!  

This was three weeks ago and every day I am still truly amazed!  

Here is a little something to think about!
This fully supports why I decided to try out alternative seating.


Stay tuned to find out what I asked for, what alternative seating means and looks like in my classroom, and how I modified my classroom without spending money or using Donor's Choose!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's about that time! Back to School Post #1

  In 3 weeks,  I will be back in the swing of kindergarten!  I started teaching when I was 30 years old and will be 45 this February!  WOW! ...