Saturday, March 5, 2016

Brag Tags...taking it to the next level!

So many exciting things happening in my classroom I don't know where to begin.  
As many of you know I started using Brag Tags a few weeks ago.
The results have been AMAZING!

Here is the link to that blog post in case you want to check it out.  



I originally learned about Brag Tags from Lucky Little Learners


So here is how I use them in my class:

Where I store my tags


Brag Tags displayed in my classroom



I don't have a set amount of brag tags I give out each day...I just give them out.
If kiddos are doing good things they get Brag Tags.  

Most importantly you need to be consistent.  Brag Tags need to be given everyday.  
I don't make sure that all of my students have the same number of brag tags but I do cheek them out about once a week and if I see if their is someone who doesn't have as many.   I then watch for a reason to give that student a Brag Tag,  As long as everyone is earning Brag Tags it works!  

As my students earn Brag Tags they can wear the necklaces.  They only get to wear a necklace if they have earned a Brag Tag that day.  We have specials (art, music, Pe, etc.) a the end of the day.  Before specials the students put their necklaces bag on their pin.  They do not get to take them home until the end of the year.  

I decided to step it up a notch.  As many of you may know from past blog posts I use a lot of different  behavior management methods in my classroom.  

Here is a link to see what I use in my classroom

So I use a color chart for behavior management.  Once I started using brag tags I wanted to incorporate them somehow.  

Thanks to my amazing assistant for giving me the idea!  

That is where Rare Brag Tags came into play!

Introducing The...
(drum roll please!)

RARE TAG BAG

We know in the world of kiddos, rare items are all the rage.
Every kiddo wants the rare Shopkins, the rare Minecraft mini figure, call something rare and they want it.

So we created Rare Brag Tags.  
I found Star Student Brag tags and put them in the bag.  (Notice this isn't anything fancy, just a brown paper bag).  I also created some on my own.  
I found shimmery award stickers and stuck them on a piece of computer paper.  (Once again nothing fancy).  I had the paper laminated and then cut them into Brag Tag size.  Not only are their Rare Brag Tags but the shimmery sticker ones even more rare.  My students love them.  

So...how do you earn a chance to pick a tag from the Rare Tag Brag?  


At the end of the day, I write down the students who are on outstanding because they receive a behavior buck or an iPad buck.

Here is a link on how I use Behavior Bucks:
http://littlesmilesbigsunshine.blogspot.com/2015/06/behavior-bucks-key-to-my-technique.html

I keep the record for the entire week.
If a student is on Outstanding for 4 days out of 5 they get to draw out of the Rate Tag Bag.
I do a drawing on Friday morning for the students who are on Outstanding every day (M-TH), and then another on Monday for the rest of the students who made it on Outstanding 4 out of the 5 days form the week before.

This has been a huge success!
Brag tags have truly been the answer and the Rare Tags are like the icing on the cake.

Here are a few pictures of my kiddos as they take their chances for a super Rare Brag Tag!

 Notice the excitement of the little girl in the corner.
She was so excited because the little girl drawing got a rare tag.
All of my students get excited to see if one of the rarest tags will be drawn!





Stay tuned...
I can't wait to share some exciting things happening in my kindergarten room!  





No comments:

Post a Comment

It's about that time! Back to School Post #1

  In 3 weeks,  I will be back in the swing of kindergarten!  I started teaching when I was 30 years old and will be 45 this February!  WOW! ...