Monday, November 2, 2015

STEM - Is the way to go! October or November activity

After the success of our first STEM activity I figured I would give it a try again.  Who knows maybe the full engagement was just a fluke.  

To check out the first STEM activity I did with my kinders click on the link below.



Once again we did this activity with our STEM buddies.  
I have been trying to do one STEM activity a month so this is my second one.

I like to incorporate literacy into my STEM activities.  For this activity I am used the book
The Great Pumpkin Smasher by Anita Bernarde.


Click on the picture to purchase your copy

                                                                   


I started out reading the book.  I stopped reading once we got to the part about the pumpkins being smashed.  We then went outside so we could smash a pumpkin.  

Pardon the costume it was Halloween Dress Up Day


We went back in and read a little more.  I stopped at the part when the twins were sharing their plan to stop The Great Pumpkin Smasher.  

That is when I gave the challenge.  The students had to build something to protect their pumpkin.  
They could pick 3 items.  


The documented the supplies they were using and then drew a plan.




They then shared their plan and created their protector.




We then went outside and tested the protectors.


We went back inside to see if our protector was a success.  The kids LOVED unpacking the boxes to see if their pumpkin survived.


Check to the little girl on the left!  She was SO excited hat her pumpkin survived!

After finding out if their pumpkin survived The Great Pumpkin Smasher, they finished the last page of the STEM packet.

My students once again loved this activity!  They were 100% engaged for over one hour!

If you would like to check out this activity click on the link below.

The Great Pumpkin Activity - Click Here

Hope you like it! 
Let me know what you think!  







No comments:

Post a Comment

It's about that time! Back to School Post #1

  In 3 weeks,  I will be back in the swing of kindergarten!  I started teaching when I was 30 years old and will be 45 this February!  WOW! ...