Saturday, August 29, 2015

Take a Peek into my Kindergarten World: A few tips and a little pick me up!

Wow!  I can't believe we have been in school for 19 days!
I have to tell you I LOVE my job!  My kinders have stolen my heart!

So here are a few randoms:

Organization:
How do you plan and organize for the week?

Two years ago we had the chance to try out an online plan book.  
I tried Planbook Edu

I love it!



My Administration pays for the program, but if they didn't it would
be worth the annual fee!

With our new evaluation process we have to have our standards posted in our weekly plans. 
With this program you get to pick out the specific standards you need for your grade and state. 

When including standards you don't have to type in the entire standard.
You just type in a few keywords and it does
 the searching for you.  Once you find the standard you can add it to your plans. 

There is also a standard section that has all of the standards.  It shows you how many time you have used each specific standard and what standards that you have yet to use.  

You can personalize your plans.  Not only do you choose your standards, you can choose how many periods in your day, pick the rotation (can be weekly,  A/B days,  or many other options).  You can add attachments and share your plans electronically with administrators or colleagues.

Once I have made plans the new age way using technology
I work on organization the old school way.
This is simple but effective.  


I have two of these stackable drawer sets.  I stay late Friday night getting everything ready for the following week.  I make all of my copies and organize them by day.  At the beginning of every day I pull out the correct drawer and everything I need is right there.  If you are a "to do" list maker this would be perfect for you.  There is nothing better than finishing the day when you have succeeded and the drawer is empty! 

SUCCESS!

My lonely car in the parking lot on a Friday night!


Kindergarten Teacher Tip:

Have parents send in 2 binders for their child. 
They can be 1/2 - 1 inch. 


Label each binder with the students name.  Keep a collection of their work throughout the year.
Give it to parents at the end of the year celebration.  Parents will love seeing the progression that 
their child has made.

What I include in the first binder:

Weekly poems 
(I send home weekly poems for weekly reading assignments.)
The students return them once they can "read" them. 
I keep a collection of those.  

Classroom Work
including:
Reader's Responses
Daily work
Writing pages

I also include these monthly pages
I found them on TPT



Giving a shout out to 

I use the 2nd Binder for my Writer's Workshop!
I will post more about that soon!

So now for the Pick Me Up!

The principal at my school has filled all of our staff bathrooms (we have 6) 
with Bath & Body Works Soaps!


Although it's something little it make a big difference!  
It's the little things!
So if you want to make life a little brighter for your staff try a specialty hand soap!

Another fun little bathroom pick me up...
A thought on the pot!

Seems kind of funny, but it really did make my day!

In September we learn about apples.  Keep an eye out for my post on apple activities!



No comments:

Post a Comment

It's about that time! Back to School Post #1

  In 3 weeks,  I will be back in the swing of kindergarten!  I started teaching when I was 30 years old and will be 45 this February!  WOW! ...