Thursday, July 30, 2015

Back to School Night Gardner Style

Back to School night with a little Gardner flare!

In 5 days I will be meeting my new kindergarten students and their parents.  
I am SUPER excited to meet my new students but I must admit I get 
SUPER nervous for the parent speech!

I can speak to little guys anytime but speaking to grownups
is a little more intimidating.  

Who am I kidding I will be sweating bullets!  :)

I have done this two different ways:
1.  parents only
2.  students and parents

So everybody needs an ice breaker.
So here is where I add my own flare.  

I do a read aloud. 

I know what you are thinking?!?!?!
You read to grownups!!!!!
Out loud!?!?!?!

Yes, I read out loud to a classroom full of grown ups.  

Why not?
I like read alouds.  That is my zone!

So what do I read?

When I have parents only I read The Night Before Kindergarten by Natasha Wing.

Click here to purchase your copy

This is a great book that focuses on the parents of kindergarteners.
It is definitely reassuring for parents as they get ready to send their little ones to kindergarten!
If you haven't read this it is a must read!
(You don't have to read it out loud to parents...but you never know you just might want to!)


When I have both parents and students at Back to School Night I choose to read
First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg.


Click here to purchase your copy


This book is one of my favorite books to read!
It focuses on being nervous on the first day of school.
Which is perfect-who isn't nervous on the first fray of school!?!?!?!
We all are...students, parents, and last but not least us teachers!

So once again in five days I will be reading First Day Jitters
 not to just my students but to my parents too!

I will start my back to school night introducing myself and telling a little bit about who I am.
You know-the basics.

I will then read First day Jitters out loud!
My little ice breaker.
It is actually calming and truly helps with my jitters.
I am in my zone.

After the read aloud I then go through a packet of papers with my parents.

Including:
*Specific kindergarten information that pertains to the school and more specifically to my class.
*Transportation forms
*Volunteer forms
*Qr codes for my classroom twitter page and my classroom webpage
*The First Day Poem
(I will find a copy and add a link soon)

After I go through all the info I then take the time to answer questions,
talk to parents, and hang out with my little kindergarteners.

Our back to school night is the night before the first day of school
so I go home after back to school night with my own case of
First Day Jitters and toss and turn ALL night long!

6 Days and counting!










No comments:

Post a Comment

It's about that time! Back to School Post #1

  In 3 weeks,  I will be back in the swing of kindergarten!  I started teaching when I was 30 years old and will be 45 this February!  WOW! ...